Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This stuff is out of this world! I love the combination of oats, brown sugar, and yummy peaches. Of course it HAS to be topped with vanilla ice cream. I have used fresh and canned peaches, both tasting great. But, if possible, fresh peaches are the best. I usually double the recipe to make a 9x13 pan size. I have gotten so many compliments on this easy dessert. By the way, it is really rich :)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup oatmeal
- 1⁄2 cup melted butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 cups sliced peaches
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- vanilla ice cream (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300.
- Combine crust ingredients; divide in half. Press half into bottom and sides of 8x8 baking pan; set aside. (Save other half of mixture for topping!)
- In saucepan, combine sugar and cornstarch. Add water and bring to a boil, stirring constantly until mixture thickens and becomes clear. Stir in vanilla.
- Pour sugar mixture evenly over peaches.
- Top with remaining half of crumb mixture.
- Bake at 300 for 1 hour or until bubbly.
- Top servings with plenty of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
My crisp came out like peach soup with crumb topping. I literally had to ladle the crisp onto the plates, and it was completely cooled. When I prepared the crisp, I placed the peaches in the dish over the crust and then began to pour the sugar syrup over the peaches - I though "there is no way roughly a cup of water belongs in this dish." I thought I hadn't reduced the water enough, so added it back to the pan and boiled some more - until it seemed to be getting a little too close to candy for my liking. Still, this super reduced syrup was way too much liquid. Perhaps the problem was that I used super ripe peaches. Yet, it still seems odd to me in retrospect that you would need to add a cup of water to this dish - there should already be enough in the fruit without it. We ate two pieces and its been sitting in a 300 degree oven evaporating for the last hour - its still soup...
Made it this weekend with fresh peaches and turned out great!
This was delicous! i didn't have an 8x8 pan so i just added a lil' extra of everything and threw in a green apple. I also added extra vanilla and cinnamon. Definetly one of my favorite recipes.