3 hrs 30 mins
A recreation of my German grandma's recipe. Her preference was for Libby's brand peaches. When I can't find those, I use the most tender peaches I can get.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/2 cup warm milk, 105 degrees F
- 1 (1/4 ounce) packet active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 4 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 24 ounces peaches, canned in water
- 1This dough is a basic sweet dough. I use it for cinnamon rolls and monkey bread, as well. Combine the milk, yeast, and sugar in a mixing bowl. Let stand for 2 minutes to proof the yeast. Add the egg, butter, nutmeg, salt, and half of the flour. Mix until smooth, then beat for 2 minutes. Stir in enough of the remaining flour to make a soft dough.
- 2Turn dough onto floured surface and knead just enough to smooth the dough and thoroughly combine ingredients. Kneading makes gluten, so don't overdo it, or you'll lose tenderness. Place in a greased bowl, cover and let rise until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours.
- 3To assemble, punch the dough down, and divide in half. Roll the dough into discs and spread into the greased pans. Cover and let rise in the pan until doubled, about 1 1/2 hours. Meanwhile, mix the sugars and cinnamon in a bowl. Canned peach slices are usually too thick. Slice them as necessary to get reasonably thin pieces, about 1/2 inch.
- 4When the cakes are risen, brush the dough with melted butter, and sprinkle with a mixture of sugars and cinnamon. Spread peaches over the top, covering as much dough as possible, and then sprinkle again with the sugar and cinnamon mix. You want a good, thick coating of sugar, to glaze the top.
- 5Bake in a 350-degree Fahrenheit oven for 20-25 minutes. The coffee cakes should be golden around the edges, but somewhat pasty where risen between the peach slices. Let cool for at least 15 minutes.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Peach Coffee Cake (Sweet Dough)
Serving Size: 1 (88 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 16
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 174.2
- Calories from Fat 47
- Total Fat 5.2 g
- Saturated Fat 3.0 g
- Cholesterol 25.7 mg
- Sodium 112.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 29.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 13.1 g
- Protein 3.2 g