Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
A classic Southern summer dessert.
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- juice and grated rind of one lemon
- 2 cups peaches, sliced and peeled
- 1 cup sugar
- 3⁄4 cup flour
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- Preheat the oven to 300º F.
- Combine 1/2 cup sugar, lemon juice, and lemon rind in a bowl; set aside.
- Mix 1 cup sugar, flour, milk, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Melt the butter in a two quart baking dish, Spoon the batter into the dish.
- Spread the peach mixture over the top of the batter; DO NOT STIR.
- Bake at 300º F for 1 hour.
- Serve with cream or vanilla ice cream.