This is a throw together recipe using fresh or canned peaches. In summer I use fresh, in winter I use canned.
- 24 -28 ounces canned peaches, drained or 3 -4 cups sliced fresh peaches, peeled, with juice
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 3⁄4 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup white sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven 375*.
- Heat filling on stove in saucepan until margarine and spices are melted and blended with the peaches and sugar, stirring on medium heat.
- Pour into a 12 X 12 deep baking dish or deep dish pie pan or glass baking dish. The filling should be hot!
- In medium bowl add the topping ingredients and mix.
- Pour over the filling. It is ok if it sinks to the bottom. It will come back up.
- Place a flat pan under this dish, in case there are spills from baking.
- Bake 45 minutes. Cool at least 15 minutes before serving. Serve with ice cream.