Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 10 mins
A plethora of peaches? Lucky you! You can put up some of this delicious peach chutney to have on hand. Try this with apricots too.
- 2 lbs peaches, peeled,pitted and diced
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1 1⁄4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup currants
- 1⁄3 cup minced crystallized ginger
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
- In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients and bring to a boil, skimming froth.
- Simmer mixture, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until thick and brown.
- Ladle into sterilized jars, leaving atleast ½ inch headspace.
- Seal jars.
- Put jars in water bath and add enough water to cover jars by 2 inches.
- Bring water to boil and process jars, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Let cool and store in a cool, dark place.
This is now a staple at our house-we just won't be without it! I think the crystallized ginger is the KEY ingredient. It really gives it a punch! Have begun to use craisins instead of raisins--less sweet & adds color.I tried it with apples, but we didn't like it as well as the original with peaches. Next will try with apricots. I do not do the water bath, just tighly close jars & put them in frig. The lrg amt of vinegar seems to do the trick on preservation. Used it with the soon-to-be -famous Donald Trump turkey burger Oprah raved about. Thanks again for a terrific keeper!
From Ruth Australia. ttry this instead of a water bath. wash and warm jars in a rinsecycle in the dishwasher. lids to. Place chutny into these jars lids on loosly. Place 3 jars at a time into microwave 1min. 650power. Tighten lids as you remove them. they will vacume seal as they cool Keep for 2yrs.
The taste is really good, I made two separate batches of this, but I will rate it again in a couple of weeks after I open a jar of it, I did increase the red pepper flakes to 1 teaspoon, and I think it really could have been more for our tastes! thanks Ev!...Kitten