Recipe by evelyn/athens
A plethora of peaches? Lucky you! You can put up some of this delicious peach chutney to have on hand. Try this with apricots too.
Top Review by Margaret3
This is now a staple at our house-we just won't be without it! I think the crystallized ginger is the KEY ingredient. It really gives it a punch! Have begun to use craisins instead of raisins--less sweet & adds color.I tried it with apples, but we didn't like it as well as the original with peaches. Next will try with apricots. I do not do the water bath, just tighly close jars & put them in frig. The lrg amt of vinegar seems to do the trick on preservation. Used it with the soon-to-be -famous Donald Trump turkey burger Oprah raved about. Thanks again for a terrific keeper!
- 2 lbs peaches, peeled,pitted and diced
- 1 onion, minced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 cups white vinegar
- 1 1⁄4 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup currants
- 1⁄3 cup minced crystallized ginger
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon salt, to taste
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, combine all ingredients and bring to a boil, skimming froth.
- Simmer mixture, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until thick and brown.
- Ladle into sterilized jars, leaving atleast ½ inch headspace.
- Seal jars.
- Put jars in water bath and add enough water to cover jars by 2 inches.
- Bring water to boil and process jars, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Let cool and store in a cool, dark place.