Thanks to the reduced amount of sugar, it tastes extremely peachy, but with a smooth little kick. It makes a nice thick jam, that goes great on challah or a croissant.
- Peel, pit, and chop peaches. Measure 4 1/2 cups of chopped peaches.
- Combine peaches, lemon juice, pectin, and 1/4 of sugar. Bring peach mixture to a boil.
- Add remaining sugar. Boil hard for 1 minute.
- Remove peaches from heat. Stir in cardamon and vanilla extract.
- Ladle into sterilized jars. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
I reduced my sugar even further, down to 2 cups. My pectin said I didn't have to put in any sugar at all, and I don't like really sweet jams. My only complaint is that it has too much cardamom for my tastes. Next time I will just put 1 tsp in. It's good, but it's potent stuff, and 2 tsp seemed to overwhealm all other flavors.
LOVE this jam!! It's my new Fav !!!
I love cardamom, so this is right up my alley, and I love that it uses the low-sugar pectin. I subbed almond extract for the vanilla and it came out quite tasty. I got 3 pints.