Prep 45 mins
Cook 50 mins
In 'All Cakes Considered'
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 1 3⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 cups sliced peaches (canned peaches that have been rinsed work better than fresh)
- c. chopped nuts (optional)
- 3 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- The cake--center oven rack and preheat oven to 375°; grease and flour a 10-inch tube pan.
- In the bowl of a mixer, combine the eggs, sugar, and oil; mix on medium speed until just blended.
- In another bowl, dry whisk the flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon together.
- Add to the egg mixture and beat until just combined; the batter will be sticky.
- With a spatula or wooden spoon, fold in the peaches and nuts.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan and bake for 50 minutes, or until cake tests done.
- Let the cake cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then unmold onto a cake rack; let cool completely.
- The frosting--with the mixer on medium speed, beat the cream cheese, butter, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Gradually add the powdered sugar and ginger; beat until smooth.
- Apply the frosting to the cooled cake.
- Cut into thick slices and serve.