Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
From my mom's collection of canning recipes. Adapted from Gooseberry Patch's Celebrate Summer. This is yummy stuff but I think everything my mom makes is yummy.
- Heat a large pot of water until boiling.
- Score an X on both ends of each peach (this makes for easier peeling).
- Drop each peach into the boiling water for 30 seconds.
- Transfer peaches to a cold bowl of water.
- When the peaches are cool enough to handle, peel, pit, and slice the peaches.
- Add the sliced peaches, lemon juice, and water to a large saucepan.
- Cook over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, for 15-20 minutes or until the fruit is quite soft.
- Let the fruit cool slightly.
- Puree mixture in a food processor or blender.
- You should have about 6 1/2 cups puree.
- Transfer the puree back to the saucepan; add in the sugar.
- Cook over medium heat and stir very frequently to prevent scorching, for about 25-30 minutes, or until the mixture is thick and creamy.
- Transfer mixture into sterilized jars according to manufacturer's directions (Mom leaves about 1/4 inch headspace); cover with metal lids and screw on bands; process 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.
I loved this recipe, I did do a few changes. After I peeled and pitted the peaches, I put them in a blender and pureed them, Also I did not add the water because I did not want to dilute the flavor at all. Added the cinnamon and lemon juice and put it in a pan to bake until desired thickness. For me about 5 to 6 hours at 325 degrees. I stirred it often too. Everyone I gave a jar too just loved it. Thanks for a dandy recipe!!!!!