Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This recipe came from Cooks Illustrated. You can substitute 3 pounds of thawed and drained frozen sliced peaches for fresh peaches. If you don't own an oven-safe skillet, transfer the peach filling to a 2-quart baking dish at the end of step 2 and continue with the recipe as directed
- 4 slices white bread, torn into pieces (french bread)
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces and chilled
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 1⁄2 lbs peaches, peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Pulse bread and butter in food processor until coarsely ground. Set aside. Combine sugar and cinnamon in small bowl.
- Melt butter in large nonstick ovensafe skillet over medium-high heat. Cook peaches, stirring occasionally, until they begin to caramelize, 8 to 12 minutes. Off heat, stir in 1 cup crumb mixture, sugars, lemon juice, vanilla, and salt.
- Top peach mixture with remaining crumbs. Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar and bake until topping is golden brown and juices are bubbling, 20 to 25 minutes. Cool 10 minutes. Serve warm.