Recipe by Sydney Mike
While searching for a peach recipe I came upon this one that can be made any time of year, using either fresh or frozen peaches. A comforting kind of Southern-style recipe! If using frozen peaches, thaw & sugar them to taste.
Top Review by WiGal
Very nice, Syd! Made as posted except the timing-- I had ours in the water bath for at least 70 minutes and it is still pretty liquidy on bottom. Wonder if the depth of the casserole has something to do with it needing more time-mine was a deep dish. Made for Everyday Is A Holiday.
- 2 eggs
- 118.29 ml granulated sugar
- 2.46 ml ground nutmeg
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 1.23 ml almond extract
- 2.46 ml salt
- 340.19 g can evaporated milk, scalded
- 395.10 ml water
- 4 slice bread, buttered with
- 295.73 ml peaches, fresh, ripe
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In mixing bowl, beat together first 6 ingredients, eggs through salt.
- In another bowl, combine milk & water, then beat it into the egg mixture.
- In greased 1 1/2-quart casserole, layer bread, milk mixture & peaches until all ingredients are used.
- Set casserole in pan of hot water & bake 30-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, cool & serve.
- Refrigerate leftovers.