Recipe by twissis
From the *Tomato Cookbook* of the Australian Womens Weekly cookbook series comes this salad full of flavor, texture & color. While the recipe uses fresh peaches & that would clearly be best when in season, IMO it still works well w/canned peaches because it is just plain good either way. It can also be expanded by adding shrimp or chicken. You just really cannot go wrong w/this recipe. *Enjoy* !
Top Review by morgainegeiser
This was an interesting salad. I loved all the veggies, however next time I make the salad I will skip the pita bread - as we found it got soggy and we landed up going around it. But the combination of veggies and fruit was very yummy, nice dressing.
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 3 teaspoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove (crushed)
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 2 pita pockets
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cucumber (large size)
- 1 red onion (medium size)
- 4 fresh peaches (medium size)
- 6 roma tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons of fresh mint (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons fresh coriander (chopped)
Directions See How It's Made
- FOR DRESSING: Combine dressing ingredients in a jar, shake well & set aside.
- FOR SALAD: Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Split pita pockets & lightly brush both sides of ea piece w/olive oil. Place on an oven tray or baking sheet & toast till crisp (about 15 min). Set aside to cool.
- Cut unpeeled cucumber in half lengthways, scoop out seeds, slice thinly & set aside in a lrg bowl. Cut onion in half & ea half into 6 wedges. Break pieces apart & add to sliced cucumber.
- Cut a shallow cross in base of ea peach & drop peaches into lrg pan of boiling water. Drain & rinse under cold water. Cut peaches in half, twist to remove stones & peel.
- Cut peaches & tomatoes into wedges & add to cucumber-onion mixture w/the chopped fresh mint & coriander.
- Break crisped pita pocket bread into pieces just b4 serving. Add to other ingredients, shake dressing again & drizzle over salad per taste preferences. Serve immediately.
- NOTES: The dressing & pita pockets can be prepared a dy ahead. If the peaches you use halve easily to remove the stones & peel, you may opt to skip blanching the peaches.
- DRESSING IF USING CANNED PEACHES: Drain peaches well & reserve 2 tbsp of peach nectar. Use 2 tbsp lemon juice + 2 tbsp peach nectar + vinegar, cumin & garlic as stated for dressing. Bottom line is skip the added sugar. :-).