Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
An unusual combination
- 3 1⁄2 cups self-rising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 4 tablespoons superfine sugar
- 1⁄3 cup sweet butter, melted
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1⁄3 cups buttermilk
- 2 ripe peaches, sliced
- 3 tablespoons chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 400°; grease a large 6-cup muffin pan.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter, egg, and buttermilk with an electric mixer.
- Add the flour to the buttermilk mixture, stirring until nearly combined.
- Stir in the peaches and tomatoes.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan; bake 18-20 minutes or until test done.
- Remove pan from oven and cool for 5 minutes; remove muffins from pan and cool on a rack.
- **Peach, Tomato, and Lime Muffins: add 1 tablespoon freshly grated lime zest to buttermilk mixture; proceed as directed.
- **Peach, Tomato, and Basil Muffins: add 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil to the buttermilk mixture; proceed as directed.
- **Peach, Tomato, and Rosemary Muffins: add 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary to the buttermilk mixture; proceed as directed.