Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
A juicy fruit filling covered with a golden buttermilk biscuit topping. Two of my favourite summer fruits - raspberries and peaches!! You can substitute fresh blueberries!! Yummy!!
- 6 cups peaches, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup raspberries or 1 cup blueberries
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Buttermilk Biscuit Topping
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons lemon rind, grated
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- In large bowl, gently toss together peaches, raspberries, sugar, flour and lemon juice; scrape into 8-inch (2 L) square glass baking dish
- Buttermilk Biscuit Topping: In large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, lemon rind, baking powder, baking soda and salt; using pastry blender or 2 knives, cut in butter until crumbly.
- In measuring cup, stir buttermilk with vanilla; drizzle over flour mixture, stirring with fork to form soft, slightly sticky dough.
- On lightly floured waxed paper, form dough into 8-inch (20 cm) square; cut into 9 squares. Place squares over fruit.
- Brush squares with buttermilk; sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake in 375°F (190°C) oven until bubbly and biscuits are light golden and no longer doughy underneath when lifted with spoon, about 50 minutes.
- Let cool slightly before serving.
- This is dessert is not too sweet and is perfect when served with vanilla ice cream!
This was delicious! I only had two cups peaches so I used 3 cups raspberries. The biscuit topping rises quite high - it tasted good even though it wasn't quite cooked! Thanks for this lovely summer recipe!