1 hr 5 mins
This is a GREAT summer dessert! I don't bother to strain the berries, but that is my preference. For the cream, I reduce the sugar to 1/2 cup. I have found that using fresh baking powder, not something that has been in my pantry for 6 months, works best. From Bon Appetit, 2006.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/3 cups flour
- 8 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 10 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup buttermilk, plus 2 tablespoons
- 1 tablespoon whipping cream
- 2 lbs peaches, ripe, peeled, pitted, sliced
- 2 (6 ounce) containers blackberries
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 pinch fine sea salt
- 1For shortcakes:.
- 2Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 400°F
- 3Line rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 4Whisk flour, 7 tablespoons sugar, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg in large bowl to blend.
- 5Add butter and rub in with fingertips until mixture resembles coarse meal. Gradually add buttermilk, tossing with fork until moist clumps form.
- 6Gather dough together; flatten dough on floured work surface to 3/4- to 1-inch-thick round.
- 7Using floured 3-inch round biscuit cutter or cookie cutter, cut out rounds. Gather dough scraps and flatten on work surface to 3/4- to 1-inch thickness; cut out additional rounds for a total of 6.
- 8Transfer shortcakes to prepared baking sheet.
- 9Whisk cream and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar in small bowl to blend. Brush cream mixture over tops of shortcakes.
- 10Bake shortcakes until tops begin to brown and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 25 minutes.
- 11Transfer shortcakes to rack.
- 12(Can be made 6 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature. Rewarm in 350°F oven 5 minutes before assembling.).
- 13For filling:.
- 14Toss sliced peaches, blackberries, sugar, and salt in medium bowl; let stand while preparing blackberry cream.
- 15For blackberry cream:.
- 16Rinse blackberries; moisture will enhance puree.
- 17Place in processor. Add sugar; puree until smooth.
- 18Strain mixture through fine strainer set over bowl, pressing on solids to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard solids.
- 19Using electric mixer, beat cream and vanilla in large bowl until peaks form. Fold 3/4 cup blackberry puree into whipped cream until incorporated. Reserve remaining blackberry puree for sauce.
- 20Cut shortcakes horizontally in half. Place 1 bottom half of each shortcake on each of 6 plates.
- 21Spoon filling over each, then generous amount of blackberry cream.
- 22Drizzle each with reserved blackberry puree.
- 23Cover with top halves of shortcakes and serve.
- 24Test-kitchen tip: For the most tender shortcakes, don't overwork the dough. Once you add the liquid, stir until just blended.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Peach and Blackberry Shortcakes With Blackberry Cream
Serving Size: 1 (496 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 923.4
- Calories from Fat 427
- Total Fat 47.5 g
- Saturated Fat 29.0 g
- Cholesterol 150.6 mg
- Sodium 429.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 119.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.6 g
- Sugars 72.9 g
- Protein 10.6 g