Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A slightly sweeter bread pudding, with the fresh peaches. Prep time does not include one hour chilling time.
- 1 loaf French bread or 1 loaf Italian bread, torn into pieces
- 1 quart half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons almond extract
- 3 medium peaches, peeled, pitted, and thinly sliced
- 1 cup sliced almonds
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup Amaretto
- Bread Pudding:.
- Combine the bread and the half-and-half in a large bowl. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Grease a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking dish with 1 tbsp butter; set aside.
- Combine the eggs, sugar, and almond extract; stir well. Add the egg mixture to the chilled bread mixture, stirring gently. Gently fold in peaches and almonds.
- Pour into the prepared dish. Bake, uncovered, at 325 degrees for 1 hour or until set and lightly browned. Let stand 15 minutes before serving. Serve with amaretto sauce.
- Amaretto Sauce:.
- Combine the butter and sugar in a small saucepan; cook, stirring constantly, until the butter melts and the sugar dissolves.
- Gradually stir about 1/4 of the hot mixture into the egg; add to the remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens. Remove from heat, and stir in the amaretto. Let it cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
I made a half amount of the recipe using 2 eggs and got a really terrific bread pudding. My "sample" dish was really delicious still quite warm and the sauce is to die for. It's a dessert where a little goes a long way but you'll be oh so tempted to grab seconds as soon as the first serving is gone. The fresh peach addition is an excellent thought also. Made for For Your Consideration.