Recipe by drhousespcatcher
Oysters, Good Italian bread, Bacon, horseradish... Every once in a while the Maryland Department of Agriculture, Seafood Marketing Program does something right.
- 1 loaf Italian bread
- 8 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 pint shucked maryland oyster, drained, approx 8 oz
- flour, for sprinkling
- 2 medium tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice bread lengthwise; scoop out soft bread inside to form a shell.
- In skillet, fry bacon until crisp. Remove and drain. Sprinkle oysters with flour and fry in bacon fat until browned on both sides. Remove and keep warm.
- Slice tomatoes and cook in remaining bacon fat until heated through, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Place cooked bacon, oysters and tomatoes in bread. Cut bread diagonally into slices. Mix sour cream and horseradish and serve as a sauce.