Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 7 mins
I found this on a food blog--homemade poptarts! What fun :P
- 1 1⁄2 cups sifted flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- milk (to thin)
- Combine flour and salt in bowl. Add shortening or butter and blend with fork, pastry cutter or your fingers until mixture is fairly coarse.
- Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, gently mixing dough after each addition until dough forms a ball. (Dough can also be prepared in food processor. Use the pulse button just until it starts to pull away from the sides. Be very careful not to overwork the dough.).
- Place dough on a lightly floured surface and roll into a square/rectangle. Cut out long strips about 2 inches wide, and 3 inches long.
- Repeat till you run out of dough.
- For the glaze: Place powdered sugar in bowl. Pour milk slowly until it has a consistency of really thick syrup.
- Assemble: Take one pie crust rectangle, fill with a tsp of jam. Cover with another piece of pie crust. Crimp all four edges. Repeat until you run out of pie crust. Bake at 450°F for about 7-8 minutes or until slightly brown. Set aside to cool. Once cooled, pour glaze on to Poptart and decorate w/ sparkling sugar.