Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
lovely springtime soup that uses frozen peas so you can enjoy any time of the year! From Soup Chick
- 4.92 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 4.92 ml butter
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 591.47 ml frozen baby sweet peas, divided (do not defrost)
- 4.92 ml dried oregano
- 709.77 ml chicken broth or 709.77 ml vegetable broth
- 177.44 ml tiny pasta
- 44.37 ml grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese, plus extra for garnish
- coarse sea salt and fresh black pepper, to taste
- In a 4- or 5-quart Dutch oven or heavy sauce pan, combine the olive oil and butter over medium heat. Add the shallot and garlic and cook, stirring, for 1 minute, until just softened. Add 2 cups of the peas, plus the oregano. Cook, stirring to keep the peas from sticking, for 2 minutes. Pour in the broth, and raise heat to high. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat to simmer, cover, and cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove the pot from the heat and, with an immersion blender, puree until smooth. (Or, if you're using a stand blender, let the soup cool for a few minutes, then puree in batches, and return to the pot.).
- Stir in the remaining 1/2 cup of peas, and the pasta. Again, bring the soup to the boil over high heat, and reduce heat to simmer. Cook for 5 minutes, uncovered, stirring often to keep the pasta and whole peas from sticking. If the soup is thickening too much, add 1/2 cup of water. After 5 minutes, grate the cheese directly into the pot with a Microplane® or box grater, and season with salt and pepper to taste (this soup loves quite a bit of black pepper, so don't be timid).
- Continue cooking for 5 minutes more, or until the pasta is soft. If the soup is too thick, add more water or stock to achieve the texture you like.
- Ladle into individual serving bowls, and garnish with grated cheese.