Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs 45 mins
This recipe is from Extending the Table and is submitted for ZWT4. Cooking time does NOT include overnight soaking time.
- 453.59 g salt pork or 453.59 g ham bone
- 473.18 ml split peas
- 1892.0 ml water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 236.59 ml celery, diced
- 236.59 ml potato, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 354.88 ml flour
- 14.79 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 44.37 ml margarine
- 158.51 ml water or 158.51 ml milk
- Soak salt meat and split peas separately ovenight. (If using a ham bone, it does not need to be soaked.).
- Combine meat, peas, water and chopped onion in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil; simmer 2-3 hours or until peas are soft.
- Remove meat; remove from bone and cut into pieces.
- Return to saucepan and add celery, potatoes and carrots.
- Simmer 30 minutes or until vegetables are nearly tender.
- While soup simmers, mix together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in margarine; add water or milk to make a soft dough.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls into soup.
- Cover tightly and cook 15 minutes. If soup is too thick, thin with water.
- Reheat and serve.