Recipe by luvinlif2k
This recipe is from Extending the Table and is submitted for ZWT4. Cooking time does NOT include overnight soaking time.
- 1 lb salt pork or 1 lb ham bone
- 2 cups split peas
- 2 quarts water
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup potato, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 2⁄3 cup water or 2⁄3 cup milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak salt meat and split peas separately ovenight. (If using a ham bone, it does not need to be soaked.).
- Combine meat, peas, water and chopped onion in a large saucepan.
- Bring to a boil; simmer 2-3 hours or until peas are soft.
- Remove meat; remove from bone and cut into pieces.
- Return to saucepan and add celery, potatoes and carrots.
- Simmer 30 minutes or until vegetables are nearly tender.
- While soup simmers, mix together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cut in margarine; add water or milk to make a soft dough.
- Drop by teaspoonfuls into soup.
- Cover tightly and cook 15 minutes. If soup is too thick, thin with water.
- Reheat and serve.