Recipe by Rita~
This comfort soup gets a wonderful smokey flavor from from the Chorizo and Chipotle Peppers in adobo sauce. You can prepare the soup without the sausage blend the soup and then top with the cooked sausage. Or save some for garnish while blending the rest into the soup.
Top Review by karen in tbay
Giving it 5 stars for putting me on the path to cleaning out the fridge - had all the vegies and the chipotle peppers in adobe sauce but no chorizo so used equal weight in smokies and instead of split green peas with water, I used my green cream soup which looked just like pureed green pea soup (My pureed soup/broth was another fridge cleanout of all greens/vegies ....arugula,spinach,peppers,romaine.and more....wierd color but tasty and healthy!) This soup has some kick to it and my DD won't be saying that this one is a bland one.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 celery, sliced
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 lb chorizo sausage, sliced browned and grease discarded
- 1 (16 ounce) package dried split peas
- salt & pepper
- 1 -2 chipotle chile in adobo, diced your choice to remove seeds
- hot sauce (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot heat oil add onions, celery, carrots, potatoes and carrot saute for 5 minutes add garlic, oregano, bay leaf, salt, pepper 1-2 minutes. Add sausage, chipotles, peas, and cover with enough water to completely submerge all ingredients by a couple inches.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 3-4 hours, until thickened be sure to stir throughout the cooking. The longer you cook it the thicker it gets.
- Season with hot pepper sauce and black pepper.
- Optional-Blend all but meat in a blender to smooth out.
- Garnish with croutons and or sausage slices.