Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is great comfort food. The flavor is just right and it is easy to make.
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, chopped
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 8 cups water
- 2 tablespoons instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb dried split peas, picked over and rinsed
- Cook bacon in large pot over medium heat for 5 minutes or until bacon is lightly browned.
- Remove bacon with slotted spoon to paper towels.
- Add potatoes, carrots and celery to bacon fat in pot; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently; Add water, chicken broth granules and salt.
- Bring to boiling.
- Add split peas and reserved bacon.
- Reduce heat; simmer until split peas are tender, about 1 hour.
- If soup gets too thick, add more water as needed.
Excellent! So quick to prepare and delicious! I followed directions/cooking time exactly; except I used ham boullion in place of chicken boullion. I will be making this for years; thanks for posting!!!
This soup was so easy to make and it taste great too! It was a hit with the whole family, even the 2 year old loved it! Thank you!
OMG!!I've always wanted to make Pea Soup, but never knew how, and this was the recipe to try! It was sooo easy, and the taste was AWESOME! I followed to a "T" the only thing was I also added ham. Thank you for this recipe, This is a keeper for sure!