Recipe by Chris from Kansas
This is great comfort food. The flavor is just right and it is easy to make.
Top Review by TheDancingCook
Excellent! So quick to prepare and delicious! I followed directions/cooking time exactly; except I used ham boullion in place of chicken boullion. I will be making this for years; thanks for posting!!!
- 1⁄4 lb bacon, chopped
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 8 cups water
- 2 tablespoons instant chicken bouillon granules
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 lb dried split peas, picked over and rinsed
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook bacon in large pot over medium heat for 5 minutes or until bacon is lightly browned.
- Remove bacon with slotted spoon to paper towels.
- Add potatoes, carrots and celery to bacon fat in pot; cook 2 minutes, stirring frequently; Add water, chicken broth granules and salt.
- Bring to boiling.
- Add split peas and reserved bacon.
- Reduce heat; simmer until split peas are tender, about 1 hour.
- If soup gets too thick, add more water as needed.