Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I created this pea soup and it has become a favorite. It is easy and healthful and excellent tasting.
- 1 onion, Diced (Medium)
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 (16 ounce) bag split peas
- 4 carrots, Peeled and Diced
- 1 potato, Peeled and Diced
- 6 -8 cups water
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 smoked pork bones
- 1 teaspoon salt, more if needed
- 1 teaspoon white pepper, more if needed6 -
- 1 tablespoon dill weed
- Saute onion in oil until limp in large pot.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook over low to medium heat (simmer) until the peas and vegetables are soft.
- Remove and discard bones.
- Remove one cup of soup mixture.
- Blend remaining soup until slightly pureed.
- Add reserved cup of soup.
- Correct seasoning as desired.
A STUNNING pea soup and well worth the effort! We all loved this, it was deep and smoky tasting with rich taste of peas, simply delicious! I served this with chopped chives and fresh French bread, it was fabulous for a cold spring day. Made for PAC 2010 and Soup, Salads and Sandwiches in the Photo's Forum, merci Norma! FT:-)
Made this as written, though reduced the amount of carrots in half. Had plenty of pea flavor in it, and noticed the chicken flavor with the bouillon cubes. Was great with grilled ham and cheese sandwiches. Made for Fall Cooking Tag 2012.