Prep 5 mins
Cook 7 hrs
Very simple pea soup. Actually is pretty good. Add onion if you want.
- Soak peas for 2 to 3 hours.
- Using soaking water, cook the peas until mealy.
- Add pork, cover and bring to boil.
- Add onion here, if you wish.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook until peas are done through, around 4 hours.
I like this soup - it reminds me of the nursery rhyme about pease porridge. I had some whole dried peas and needed a recipe. Followed this one exactly, except that I used fresh ham rather than salt pork. (Japanese butchers don't carry salt pork.) The recipe times seemed accurate and the soup itself is a very plain, comforting kind of food. Thank you very much for sharing this recipe with us.