Prep 20 mins
Cook 5 hrs
A recipe from Algeria
- 2 lbs mutton neck
- 1 small pork shank
- 4 slices bacon
- 1 lb dried split peas
- 1⁄2 cup rice
- 2 large celery ribs
- 2 large potatoes
- 2 large carrots
- 1 large onion
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper
- 8 pints water
- Slice the neck of mutton.
- Cut the bacon into strips across the length.
- Finely chop the celery sticks.
- Peel the potatoes and grate coarsely.
- Peel the carrots and grate coarsely.
- Peel the onion and chop finely.
- Place all the ingredients, except for the peas and rice, in a heavy Dutch oven or cast iron pot.
- Add 3 pints of water.
- Cover and bring to the boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer slowly for 2 hours.
- Add the peas and rice together with 4 pints of water.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer for 2 hours.
- You can even add more water if you feel it's necessary.
- As the pea soup thickens it must be stirred frequently to prevent burning.
- This is a very thick and tasty soup.
- Don't be tempted to make this Pea and Meat Soup too thin.