Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
A very quick salad, made with things I had on hand (and needed to use up). Prep and cook time doesn't take into account cooking bacon, because you might want to use bacon bits.
- 1 (500 g) packet frozen baby peas, thawed,drained
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1⁄2 cup diced cooked bacon (could use bacon bits I guess)
- 1⁄2 cup corn kernel, canned is ok
- 1 cup grated tasty cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup diced red capsicum (bell pepper)
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream (I used lower fat)
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise (I used Best's)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Get a large bowl, and mix everything together gently but thoroughly, seasoning to taste.
- Chill for a couple of hours before serving to allow the flavours to develop.
We were visiting a friend and she had served a Pea Salad that she got from the grocery. I knew I could find something similar in Zaar. I wasn't disappointed!!! I liked this one better. I thought it could be a little more creamier, but my family thought it was perfect as is and my DD has requested this to be put in our "Favorite List". Everyone loved the salad and came back for seconds. I didn't have enough red onion, so I added some green onion....had a leftover cooked corn on the cob...my DD does not like peppers, so I did not add that. This salad is very flexable....chicken could be added...peppercorn Ranch could be used instead...vegetables exchanged. The possibilities are endless. Excellent contribution!
This is a great salad. Great colours and something a little different to serve. I made this for a B.B.Q, and it was enjoyed by everyone. The only change I made was to use leftover ham from Christmas instead of bacon, and it worked very well with the other ingredients. Such an easy recipe to make, wonderful flavour and as an added bonus its very impressive and pretty on the table! Great recipe Jan. Thanks for something a little different to serve over the summer months.
This salad is delicious as it is beautiful!