Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
While searching for a recipe I recall from years ago, I came across this recipe on the about.com site and thought it was worth a try. It's part of their Indian Cuisine article, and the introduction stated that this dish is also known as Yellow Rice. It's quite different than the only other recipe of the same title currently posted to the site.
- Wash the Basmati rice well in running water and keep aside to soak for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, place rice in a fine sieve to allow excess water to drain.
- Heat the oil in a deep heavy-bottomed pan. When it is hot, add the onions and cook until soft.
- Add the peas and stir well. Add the rice and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the 3 cups of water, turmeric and salt to the rice mixture, and set it up to boil over a medium flame.
- Once the water comes to a boil, reduce the flame to a simmer and cover the pan. Cook until the water seems to have almost disappeared (tiny holes will form on the surface of the rice).
- Pour the 1/2 cup of warm water over the top of the rice, and cover the pan again. Simmer for another 5-7 minutes, and then turn off the fire.
- Allow the rice to sit for 10 minutes and serve hot.