Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
A delightful puree'd soup that blends well with any dinner. Very healthy, low in fat and cholesterol.
- 2 lbs fresh young whole pea pods
- 4 cups water
- 4 tablespoons chicken soup base
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 3 sprigs of fresh mint
- 3 sprigs fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup baby peas, fresh or frozen
Directions See How It's Made
- Wash pea pods and pull off the stringy portion on the back side of the pea pod and discard.
- In a medium size saucepan, add water and bring to boil.
- Add pea pods, chicken soup base, sliced onion, mint sprigs and parsley sprigs.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- When outer flesh of pea pods are tender, remove from saucepan and rub pea pods through a course sieve.
- In a frying pan on low heat, melt margarine, stir in flour using a whisk and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly (DO NOT BURN).
- Add flour mixture to saucepan and stir well.
- Add pea pod puree', salt, white pepper, sugar, petite peas and bring just to boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Serve soup in bowls and sprinkle with chopped fresh mint leaves.