Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe makes a small cornbread and has a light texture. It comes from the Martha White Southern Sampler Cookbook.
- 1 egg
- 2⁄3 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil or 1 tablespoon melted shortening
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal mix
- 3 tablespoons self-rising flour
- Preheat oven to 450. Grease an 8-inch cast-iron skillet or baking pan and place in oven to heat. Beat egg in mixing bowl. Add remaining ingredients; stir until smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown.
Very nice flavor, crumb, and crust. Made for Spring Photo Tag 2013.