Recipe by MechanicalJen
I love breakfast. I start thinking about it as soon as I'm finished with desert - I know I'm crazy. I'm willing to sacrifice hours of sleep to whip up something delectable to start off my day. Luckily - this recipe doesn't require that. Just 10 minutes of your time and a handful of ingredients which you should keep onhand anyways. The result? A healthy breakast that is a definite leap up from a bowl of cereal or the plain-jane bagel.
Top Review by Mustang Sally 54269
I needed something quick & had spinach & peas on hand to use up. This worked out well even though I used canned peas instead. I didn't do the water step & just cooked the onions in some olive oil. I didn't have any mint, however, for abit of a different flavour I added some hot sauce to the eggs & finely chopped jalapenos to the vegy mixture. Even though I loved it, my DH found it abit granular so I think I'll cut back the milk abit next time. I also added some shredded cheese at the end of cooking. Quick & tasty recipe, thanks for sharing.
- cooking spray
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 cup spinach, chopped coarsely with no stems
- 6 egg whites
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons romano cheese or 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Coat large skillet with cooking spray. Combine onion and water in skillet and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium and cover. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Stir in peas and cook until they are heated through. Stir in spinach. Cook until spinach begins to wilt (about a minute).
- Meanwhile, combine egg whites, eggs, rice, milk, cheese, mint pepper and salt in medium bowl. Add this to skillet.
- Cook without stirring until eggs begin to set (about 2 minutes). Run spoon around edge, lifting eggs for even cooking. Remove from heat when eggs are almost set, but surface is still moist.
- Cover and let stand 3-4 minutes until surface is set.