Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Chef Dee has a pea salad recipe that I was about to try but I don't use Miracle Whip. As I kept changing things, it became a different recipe. So, thanks for the inspiration, Dee. Here's my take...
- 1 cup green peas, fresh or frozen (thawed*)
- 1⁄4 cup scallion, white and green parts, diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, diced (peeled**)
- 2 cups white rice, steamed (can use brown rice)
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup monterey jack cheese (or other yellow sharp)
- 1⁄4 cup mozzarella cheese
- lettuce (your choice of type)
- Keep rice at room temperature while cooling. Do not refrigerate or it will clump together.
- Cut Jack cheese into short strips.
- Grate Mozzarella cheese.
- When rice is completely cooled, mix all the ingredients together.
- Use the lettuce to line the serving plate.
- Pile salad in mound.
- Serve at room temperature.
- If the weather is warm, add mayo no more then 1/2 hour ahead of serving.
- * If using frozen peas, make sure to drain the water before adding to salad.
- ** Peel the celery just like a carrot. It removes the stringy part.