This soup works either hot or cold. Try to find fresh, young peas (or use frozen) because the starchiness of mature peas can give a split-pea flavor. I used my immersion blender rather than pureeing in a regular blender. This recipe comes from Fine Cooking's Fresh & Quick edition.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped shallot
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 4 cups fresh shelled peas (3 1/2 to 4 lb. unshelled) or 4 cups frozen peas
- 2 cups homemade vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 pinch granulated sugar (optional)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 medium lemon, finely grated zest
- 1Melt the butter in a 3- to 4-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallots and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until both are soft, 6 to 8 minutes. They shouldn't brown. If they're cooking too fast, reduce the heat to medium low.
- 2Add the peas, broth, half of the mint, and water. Season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium low, and simmer vigorously until the peas are very tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- 3Puree the soup in a blender until smooth, working in batches and making sure to vent the blender by removing the pop-up center or lifting one edge of the top (drape a towel over the top to keep the soup from leaking). Season with salt and pepper to taste. If the peas aren't very sweet, stir in a pinch of sugar.
- 4Pour the heavy cream into a medium bowl and whip it to soft peaks with a whisk. Fold in the lemon zest and season to tase with salt and pepper.
- 5Ladle the soup into serving bowls and top with a spoonful of the lemon cream. Scatter the remaining mint over the soup and serve. If you choose to serve it cold, chill it in the fridge but take it out 15 minutes before you serve. Adjust seasoning if necessary.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pea and Mint Soup With Lemon Cream
Serving Size: 1 (226 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 294.1
- Calories from Fat 157
- Total Fat 17.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.6 g
- Cholesterol 56.0 mg
- Sodium 28.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 27.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.8 g
- Sugars 8.2 g
- Protein 9.6 g
The following items or measurements are not included: