Prep 1 hr
Cook 4 hrs
This is a easy to follow recipe my mother used to make this for those cold European winters.This recipe makes a large pan so you can freeze the rest.
- 2 cups dried split green peas
- 2 pork trotters or 3 bacon, bones
- 4 leeks, use 2 medium onions if you have no leeks
- 4 medium potatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 liters water
- 2 large carrots
- pork sausage, as many as you like
- herb bread or garlic bread, to serve
- Soak the split peas in cold water over night.
- Rinse them under cold water tap.
- Put into large pot the water, peas,trotters and salt,boil then put onto low simmer for about 3 hours.
- (Once Trotters are cooked or soft take them out to cool, then break meat off bone and add later to pot when rest of soup is ready.
- Now put into the pot leeks,potatoes,carrots simmer for about 3o to 45 minutes.
- Now Add the pork and sausage.