Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Adapted from Weight Watchers Everyday Cookbook. This is a very simple pea and ham recipe, there's no ham bone in this recipe, but it is deliciously thick and tasty.
- 4 cups cold water
- 1 cup split peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 150 g lean ham, chopped
- Combine water, split peas, onion, carrot, garlic, salt and pepper in a large heavy-based saucepan. Bring to boil over high heat. Reduce to low, cover and simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in peas, simmer covered for 5 minutes or until peas are tender.
- Stir in ham, season with salt and pepper if desired and serve.
Great tasting soup! The first split pea recipe my husband has enjoyed. I followed the recipe, except for adding 3 small, unpeeled red potatoes, cubed. I put it all in the crockpot and cooked it for 8 hours on low and had a nice supper waiting when returning home from church. Thanks, Carole in Orlando