Recipe by katew
Easy to do, adapted from an ad for Heinz soups found in a magazine dated 2002
Top Review by Karen Elizabeth
Wow, using soup in this recipe adds amazing flavour and a wonderful creaminess! I hadn't done this before, but really liked the results. I used bacon rather than the ham, cooking it with the onion initially, and since I didn't have mushrooms, I left them out. I used all the peas, though, we like peas! Yum, this was really good, Kate, thank you!
- 30 g butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups arborio rice
- 420 g split pea and ham soup
- 1 cup white wine
- 3 cups boiling water
- 150 g mushrooms
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 4 slices ham, diced
- 1 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt butter, cook onion for 3 minutes.
- Stir in rice and toss to coat in onion mixture.
- Add soup and wine, stir well.
- Gradually add water.
- Simmer over low heat, stirring often till liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- This may take 20 minutes or so.
- Add mushrooms, peas, parmesan and ham in the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Season to taste.