- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 250 g diced ham
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup white wine or 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1 (440 g) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen peas, defrosted under running hot water
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup light cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- parmesan cheese, shaved or grated to serve
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the oil in a frypan, and saute the onion and garlic over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the diced ham and saute a further 2 minutes or so.
- Add the tomato paste, and cook stirring for 2 minutes, then pour in the wine or stock.
- If I'm using wine, I like to reduce it a little.
- Now add the crushed tomatoes, peas and freshly ground black pepper and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- No longer though or the peas lose their fresh green colour.
- Add the cream and reheat gently, then stir through the chopped basil before serving.
- Offer Parmesan cheese at the table.