1/2 Photos of Pea and ham pasta sauce
I've been making this pasta sauce for years. It's a good way to use up left-over ham and it's fairly quick and colourful. I like it over tortellini, but shells or spirals are OK too.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 250 g diced ham
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/2 cup white wine or 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1 (440 g) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen peas, defrosted under running hot water
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup light cream
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- parmesan cheese, shaved or grated to serve
- 1Heat the oil in a frypan, and saute the onion and garlic over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes.
- 2Add the diced ham and saute a further 2 minutes or so.
- 3Add the tomato paste, and cook stirring for 2 minutes, then pour in the wine or stock.
- 4If I'm using wine, I like to reduce it a little.
- 5Now add the crushed tomatoes, peas and freshly ground black pepper and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- 6No longer though or the peas lose their fresh green colour.
- 7Add the cream and reheat gently, then stir through the chopped basil before serving.
- 8Offer Parmesan cheese at the table.
Browse Our Top Ham Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Ham Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pea and ham pasta sauce
Serving Size: 1 (301 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 306.6
- Calories from Fat 148
- Total Fat 16.5 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 52.3 mg
- Sodium 1304.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.7 g
- Sugars 8.0 g
- Protein 18.1 g