Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love any recipe using halloumi as I'm developing a quiet addiction to 'the squeaky cheese'. This makes a nice lunch with a side salad, or a starter for a summer dinner.
- 250 g frozen peas
- 125 ml milk
- 2 eggs
- 30 g cornflour
- 100 g plain flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 250 g halloumi cheese, cut into 1cm cubes
- 1 tablespoon of fresh mint, chopped
- olive oil, to fry
- Boil peas for a couple of minutes, then drain, refresh under cold water and drain again.
- Puree half the peas until smooth.
- Whisk the milk, eggs, flours, baking powder and pureed peas in a bowl, then add the rest of the peas, haloumi, mint and salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in a large frypan over med-hi heat and add tablespoons full of mixture, pressing down slightly to flatten.
- Fry in batches til brown on both sides and drain on paper towel.
- Serve with roasted tomatoes, fresh mint leaves and lemon wedges.
These were tasty and light, perfect for lunch. I served it per suggestion with some balsamic roasted tomatoes. The batter was thinner than I expected, but it turned out very tasty. Made for PAC Fall 2007. Thanks Aunty Dotty!