Recipe by Foxgirl
This recipe is from a handwritten family cookbook we treasure. It (this recipe, not the cookbook) is from my late grandfather, whom I miss very much. The spread makes a fine hors d'oeuvre served on thin-sliced toast or crackers, but it's also pretty great on crispy fried fish patties (try it on some good Southern catfish!). The yield will vary depending upon how you use the spread--what I provided is for use on medium-large fish patties.
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 2⁄3 cup mayonnaise
- 2⁄3 cup pecans, chopped very fine
- 1 1⁄4 cups chopped olives
- 3 tablespoons olive juice
- ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Mash cheese and mayonnaise together until you can stir it, then stir it well.
- Add pecans, olives, juice and pepper, and stir again thoroughly.
- This will be mushy or gloppy, but it will thicken after the next step-- Refrigerate mixture 24-48 hours, then serve.