Recipe by nomnom
I ate this sandwhich everyday when I worked (And I ate it just now for old time's sake. MMMMM). It's nummy. The microwave version makes the apples soft and reminds me of a PBJ Apple Pie Sandwhich. The skillet version keeps the apples crispier. I highly recommend Granny Smiths (I'm biased) and feel free to adjust ingredients to your taste. I use Smuckers sugar free jam. I've tried blackberry, apricot, and strawberry. As for the PB, you can buy it at Trader Joe's or at www.peanutwonder.com. Each 2 tbsp. serving is 100 cals and 2.5g fat! :)
- 2 slices low-calorie bread (whole wheat)
- 1 -2 tablespoon peanut wonder peanut butter
- 1 -2 tablespoon sugar free jelly
- 1 medium apple (Granny Smith, or any)
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, divided (or to taste)
- 2 pinches ground allspice, divided
- 2 pinches ground ginger
Directions See How It's Made
- LIGHTLY toast bread- just enough to firm it.
- Core the apple and cut in half.
- Set one half aside and thinly slice one half.
- Coarsely chop the other.
- Spread jam on one side, PB on the other.
- Place apple slices evenly over on top of one slice of toast.
- Sprinkle 1 tsp (or more) cinnamon, a pinch of both the allspice and ginger.
- Place other toast on top, spread side down of course.
- You have two options: Make it like a grilled cheese, or microwave it for one minute.
- Meanwhile, while cooking, place chopped apples in a ziploc with remaining spices and shake to evenly to coat.
- You have options here as well: You can add them to the skillet, nuke them for a few seconds, or eat as is!