Recipe by Trinkets
A great recipe for crab and pasta! This is from a newspaper in New Orleans. Enjoy with lots of hot French bread and a chilled Sauvignon Blanc.
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons fresh garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons fresh shallots, minced
- 8 blue crabs, with claws cleaned, broken in half
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 (28 ounce) cans italian-style peeled tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon mixed fresh herbs, chopped (thyme, oregano, rosemary)
- red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 -4 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 16 ounces linguine, cooked al dente
- 8 ounces fresh crabmeat (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil in a 16-inch fry or braising pan with high sides (3 inches) over medium heat. Saute garlic and shallots until opaque, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add crabs in the shell and cook, stirring occasionally, until juices leak into pan and crabs are turning red, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the wine.
- Bring to a boil and cook for 2 more minutes, or until the wine has cooked off and juices have thickened.
- Lower heat.
- With tongs, transfer crab pieces to a large ovenproof serving bowl; cover and keep warm in a 200-degree oven.
- Add tomatoes (including juice) to pan.
- With a wooden spoon, scrape any crab bits from the bottom of the pan.
- Cover and bring to a boil over high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Lower heat.
- Add half of the cooked crabs, fresh herbs, red pepper flakes and salt and boil gently, uncovered, stirring occasionally and crushing tomatoes with a potato masher or spoon. Reduce heat as sauce thickens, until sauce is reduced to about 4 ½ cups, about 30 minutes. About 15 minutes before sauce is done, in a 6- to 8-quart pan over high heat, bring 3 to 4 quarts water to a boil.
- Add pasta, stir to separate, and cook just until barely tender to the bite, about 6 minutes.
- Drain well.
- Add cooked pasta to the crab/tomato sauce pan and stir well.
- Add the fresh crabmeat (if using) and stir gently but thoroughly.
- Bring to a simmer over medium heat for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Mound pasta in a wide, shallow serving bowl. Remove the remaining cooked crabs from the oven and arrange on top of the pasta.
- Sprinkle both crabs and pasta with parsley and serve.