Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
Something different to do with those pawpaws when you are sick of making chutney... Would make a lovely gift.
- Peel and halve the pawpaws.
- Scoop out the seeds.
- Cut the flesh into large cubes.
- There should be 575 g fruit.
- Put the pistachios into a bowl and pour over boiling water to cover.
- Leave for 1 minute, then drain and transfer to a bowl of cold water.
- Drain again, then rub off the skins with your fingers.
- Pack the pawpaws and pistachios into sterilized jars, layering them with the sugar as you go.
- Leave about 2.5 cm at the tops of the jars.
- Pour in the rum to cover the fruit and nuts by 1.25 cm, making sure there are no air pockets.
- Seal he jars, label, and seal well.
- Keep in a cool dark place for at least 2-3 months before using, to allow the flavours to develop.
- Shake from time to time during the first week of storage to make sure that all the sugar dissolves.