Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 25 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe came from my grandfather. He was a very Cajun man. there wasn't anything he made that didn't have a Cajun spin. He also was the cook of his very own restaurant. I learned a lot from him as far as cooking great Cajun food goes. He was the real deal.
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions (chopped)
- 6 stalks celery (chopped)
- 1 medium bell pepper
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 (32 ounce) can chicken broth or 1 (32 ounce) can vegetable broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 1/4 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons tony chachere's creole seasoning
- 5 tablespoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 (16 ounce) bag frozen okra
- 2 lbs shrimp or 2 lbs chicken or 2 lbs sausage
- Roux: start rue on high for oil pull off heat when oils is hot and start to add flour. needs to be like peanut butter in consistency and dark like milk chocolate.
- In a large pot sautee vegetables until onions are transluscent. Add the minced garlic at that time. Then add all of the broth, tomatoes, worcestershire sauce, all of the seasonings, and water. Let this mixture come to a good boil. Once boiling start adding in the rue slowly stirring as you add. Let that come back to a boil, and add your okra. Next add your meat of choice. Let simmer for 20 minutes. Serve over a bed of white rice and enjoy!