Recipe by Iowahorse
From "Mountain Measures" --Junior League of Charleston, WV ed. 1974 Times are as seen in Recipe
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1 cup pawpaw, pulp,strained
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan, mix together brown sugar, gelatin, and salt.
- Stir in milk and slightly beaten egg yolks.
- Cool and stir until mixture comesto a boil.
- Remove from fire and stir in pawpaw pulp.
- Chill until it mounds slightly when spooned (20 to 30 minutes in refrigerator).
- Shortly before the mixture is sufficiently set, beat eggwhites until they form soft peaks; then gradually add sugar, beating until stiff peaks form.
- Fold the partly set sapaw mixture thoroughly into egg whites.
- Pour into a 9 inch graham cracker crust or into parfait glasses and chill until firm.