1/2 Photos of Pawpaw (Papaya) Tarts
1 hr 25 mins
This is my recipe for pawpaw tarts which are just little papaya pies. They are little and are perfect for lunches, picnics, or any other place you want to take them. The tarts are very easy to make. The challenging thing is to find a green pawpaw. You may have to make a special trip to your local African, Oriental or Spanish store. But, it is certainly worth the trip.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 cups papayas (1 large or two medium Papaya)
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 tablespoons lime juice (about 4 limes)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 pinch salt
- 2Peel your pawpaw and remove the seeds. Cut up into chunks roughly 1 square inch. Place papaya in a pot. Cover with water, add salt, cover the pot, and boil until soft.
- 3When done, drain off the water and cool. Use a cook spoon to mash and force the papaya through a strainer.
- 4Squeeze the limes and add the juice. Be careful to not add any seeds. Stir in margarine, vanilla, and cinnamon(or nutmeg).
- 5Add 1 1/2 cup of sugar, stir, and taste. Slowly add remaining sugar to your taste. I use the entire 2 cups because I like it very sweet. You may not. Mix well and set aside.
- 6Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- 7Pie Crust:.
- 8Measure out and combine flour, salt, and baking powder in a mixing bowl. Use a fork to cut the butter into the flour. To cut, you simply mash the margarine into small pieces while mixing in the flour. Cut and mix until the small pieces of butter are more or less spread out in the flour.
- 9Stir sugar in the milk. Pour sweetened milk into flour mixture. Fold milk into flour evenly.
- 10Use your hands to gather dough into a ball. Place on lightly floured surface. Divide the dough into four pieces. Use a rolling pin to flatten each piece of dough.
- 11Divide it into two sections for easy handling. Roll the dough out flat on a lightly floured surface as shown in the photo. Use a large round cookie cutter to cut the dough into circles.
- 12Spoon the filling in to the center of the dough and fold over. Seal the edges with a fork.
- 13Grease and flour a cookie sheet. Place the tarts on the cookie sheet. Bake at 350 degrees until golden brown (about 20-25 minutes.).
- 14Use a spatula to remove from the cookie sheet. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Pawpaw (Papaya) Tarts
Serving Size: 1 (357 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1071.4
- Calories from Fat 402
- Total Fat 44.6 g
- Saturated Fat 10.1 g
- Cholesterol 7.5 mg
- Sodium 984.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 159.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.6 g
- Sugars 89.3 g
- Protein 11.2 g