Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This casserole recipe was supposed to have originated from the Montespan Lodge in Warwick, Bermuda. My mother has been making this for years, and this is her version!!
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 -2 minced garlic clove
- 1 -2 large onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomato sauce (or stewed tomatoes)
- 5 green pawpaw, peeled, halved, seeded
- margarine, to taste
- italian seasoning, to taste
- garlic powder, to taste
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 6 ripe tomatoes, sliced (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- seasoned dry bread crumb
- Saute the onions and garlic in butter until softened. Add the ground beef, season with salt and pepper, and cook until browned.
- Drain and add the can of tomato sauce.
- Simmer and adjust seasoning.
- Keep ready.
- Boil the pawpaws until tender. Drain, mash with a fork with a little margarine, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a buttered casserole, put down a layer of the pawpaws.
- Put a layer of the ground meat mixture on top.
- Now layer on slices of tomato, and sprinkle with grated cheese. Liberally sprinkle with breadcrumbs and dot with butter.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes or until bubbling hot and golden on top.