Recipe by ThinkAndDrive
I found this turkey rub recipe last year (2008) and used it in conjunction with TJW's Bomb Brine (http://www.recipezaar.com/Bomb-Brine-113792) on my Big Green Egg ceramic smoker/grill. For those unafraid of a slightly-less-than-traditional turkey, this is the way to go.
- 1⁄2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried sage
- 1⁄2 tablespoon ground red chili powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried lemon peel
- 1⁄2 tablespoon celery salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated chicken consomme
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon paprika
Directions See How It's Made
- Thoroughly mix all the ingredients in a bowl and set aside.
- Prepare the turkey. If still frozen, let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Gently rinse the turkey, inside and out, with cold water. Dry with paper towels. Insert 2 tablespoons of the rub into the cavity. Apply the rest of the rub to the outside surface of the turkey, on all sides. Wrap the bird in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 24 hours. Follow cooking instructions on the label.
- You can either brush with olive oil toward the end or use this browning glaze:.
- 1/4 olive oil.
- 1 T garlic powder.
- 1 T onion salt.
- 1 T Worcestershire Sauce.
- Mix liquid ingredients in a squirt bottle or shallow bowl and baste turkey during the last 30 minutes of cooking, basting every 10 minutes.