Recipe by Chef floWer
Pavlovas are a traditional Australian/New Zealand dessert. Normally served in a cake size but these are mini size perfect for the individual use. I used ready made Pavlova mini shells for the sheer convenience and use lactose free cream as Little Miss (DD) & my sister in law are lactose intolerant. This recipe comes from a book called 'Marie Clair Sweet' by Jody Vassallo.
Top Review by LilPinkieJ
This dessert literally takes the cake. It is outstanding as Syd said. WOW! I have made Pavlovas before, but never these small ones, and never served this way. My favorite part had to be the passion fruit. The whole dessert had a fresh, clean, light taste on the tastebuds. Then the fruit and fresh lemon curd really brings it home. This has to be my favorite dessert so far this year! Made and Reviewed as a Recipeextra for ANZ Recipe Swap #25 - Thanks! :)
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon lemon rind, grated
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 50 g butter (1 3/4 oz)
- 1 cup cream, whipped
- 2 bananas, sliced
- 1 mango, sliced
- 8 passion fruit
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 150°C (300°F/Gas 2). Beat the egg whites in a clean dry bowl until soft peaks form. Add the sugar gradually, beating well after each addition, until thick and glossy with stiff peaks. stir in the vanilla.
- Line a tray with baking paper and spoon the mixture into six small nests on the tray. Bake for 20 minutes, then reduce the oven to 120oc (250oF/Gas 1/2) and bake for 10 minutes Turn off the oven and leave the pavlovas to cool in the oven with the door ajar.
- To make the lemon curd, put the lemon rind, lemon juice, sugar, eggs and butter in a heatproof bowl and whisk together.
- Place the bowl over a pan of barely simmering water, making sure the base of the bowl is not sitting in the water. Stir for about 15 minutes, or until the curd is thick - do not allow it to boil. Lat plastic wrap on the surface and leave to cool. Fold on the whipped cream all through the curd. Spoon into the pavlovas and top with banana, mango and passionfruit.