Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
An updated and modern Australian pavlova.
- 4 egg whites
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 100 g caster sugar, extra
- 150 g flaked almonds, lightly toasted
- 100 g blanched almonds, lightly toasted
- 1⁄2 dried apricot
- 1 tablespoon brandy
- 300 ml whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees celcius.
- Line 2 baking trays with non-stick baking paper and mark 2 20cm circles on paper using dinner plates.
- Beat eggwhites until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in caster sugar and mixture is stiff and shiny.
- Fold through flaked almonds.
- Spread mixture over the two circles.
- Cook in oven 1 hour swapping trays halfway.
- Turn oven off and leave meringues in oven to cool.
- To make brittle, heat extra sugar in saucepan until dissolved and golden liquid forms (careful not to burn!) Remove from heat and stir through blanched almonds.
- Spread this mixture also over a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper and set aside until hard. Then break into pieces.
- Place apricots in heat proof bowl and pour over boiling water and let soak for 30 minutes. Drain and place in food processor with brandy and process until a paste is formed. Fold this mixture though the whipped cream.
- To assemble, spread half cream mixture over one meringue, place the other on top. Spread with remaining cream and top with almond brittle.