Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
An old family favourite. Makes a beautiful pavlova. The custard filling uses the left over egg yolks which is a bonus.
For the Pavlova
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1⁄2 cups caster sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon cornflour
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 4 tablespoons boiling water
For the custard filling
- 1 (400 g) can fruit cocktail
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 300 ml cream (whipped)
- To make pavlova.
- Mix egg whites until stiff, then incorporate other pavlova ingredients and mix until thick and glossy.
- Mixture must stand in peaks.
- Pile mixture onto a buttered large plate,eg dinner plate size.
- On top of this mixture make a dip-- this is where the custard filling will go later.
- Put in preheated oven 150 C for 30minutes.
- Reduce heat to 110 C and bake for further 45minutes.
- After this time, turn off oven and let pavlova cool in oven.
- To make the custard filling: Put fruit salad into a small pan on the stove top.
- Bring to boil,add cornflour dissolved in water to thicken mix.
- Lastly add the beaten egg yolks and butter.
- Cook on medium heat for a few minutes till mixture is thick.
- Taste the custard, if you prefer a sweeter taste, add some sugar (optional) to sweeten, but bear in mind that the pavlova is sweet.
- When the custard is cold, place in the"dip" on top of the pavlova.
- Top with whipped cream.
- Add passionfruit (optional) to decorate if you like.
Lovely pav and a nice change with the fruit custard center..like the previous reviewer stated its a plus using those egg yolks.
This is my favourite pavlova recipe because you use the egg yolks in the custard filling.